Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kojak View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kojak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen
    Posted: 14 Sep 03 at 11:39

what are the options bus,flight,train...? thanks.

Sponsored Links

paul_faz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_faz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 03 at 12:29

Kojak,

Trains are not a reaistic option from Chiang Mai to KK. There is a mountain range in the way so you have to go a hell of a long way round.

The options are fly or the bus, there are no direct fights
these days, so you have to travel via Bangkok, because of the number of connections you can do it 3 hours. The only issue
is cost the BKK-KKC sector costs 1600+ Baht, BKK-CNX around 2100+ (bit of a guess). So can be quite expensive for a round trip. But check  with a travel agent see if they do deals on return tickets.

Try the following link which give connecting flight options. On the same site you will find ticket prices, but these are out of date.

http://kkcairport.users5.50megs.com/cnx.html

I once took the bus from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai, set off around 9PM and arrived in Chiang Mai for a late-ish breakfast, cost was around 800 Baht for a return. The Bus stops at an interchange outside Pitsanoluk (about halfway) where you can get a  cigarette, a bite to eat, a piss and some cans of beer if you wish, though not neccessarily in that order. It then goes on to Uttradit, Lampang and other places to drop off/pickup passengers only. The bus is very slow in parts as you have to pass through Nam Nao National Park, which can be a grueller.

So its a trade off between price and time/comfort.

Hope this helps.

PaulF
RossDunstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossDunstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 03 at 15:56

There was , maybe 10 years ago a direct flight from CM to KK, but curiously, not the other way. But Paul is right, it is no more.

I think the direct bus link takes around 14 hours, I know there is one that leaves KK at 6.30pm and gets in around 8.30am. I will find out the cost later today as I have some bookings to make.

KK - Bkk is 1605 baht one way, there are 4 flights a day and Bkk - CM 2275 baht one way and there are nearly hourly flights.

Ross

Kojak View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kojak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 03 at 21:35

well,I think I'll take the flight option. sounds too crazy spend 14 hrs ride on thai roads.

Instead of paying to sofitel I'll pay to Thai Airways and  stay at cheap hotel

Thanks Ross & PualF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossDunstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 03 at 16:53

I checked yesterday and the bus actually takes 12 hours and leaves at 8pm and 9pm for an early morning arrival as Paul said. the cost is 384 Baht.

This time I am staying at the Khon Kaen Hotel and it is costing me 450 baht a night (I spoke to the manager and negotiated a better longer term rate). The normal price is 500 baht - so I am saving 50 baht a day - lol. The rooms are very nice and quiet. I wouldn't even consider staying in the Sofitel at nearly 3 times the price - you have the right idea. Save your pennies and take the plane. However, if there is train going where you want and have plenty of time, then it is a very comfortable way to travel, much better than the bus.

I am heading to meet a friend at the airport next Friday and am taking the bus to Khorat abd then the train to Don Muang rather than the bus all the way. Will take longer but 4 hours in a train is the equivalent of 8 hours in a bus to me on a comfort scale.

Have a great trip.

Ross

sabang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 03 at 17:30
Ross, Are you and the others sure there is no direct flight to Chaing Mai? I once went to a travel agent in CM and was told I would have to go via Bangkok. With my wife, it was very expensive and actually took all day. I later found out there are other airlines that make the direct flight. I belive most travel agents are in cahoots with Thai airways, who want a monopoly in Thailand. I know just a few years ago it was possible and I live 30-35 km west of Khon Kaen airport and everyday I see planes heading west. I cant think of anyplace other than CM they would be going. Maybe it would be worth a trip to the airport to check it out. I think the airline that makes that direct route is called "Orient" or something like that. Tom Salarak
Metta Karuna Muddita Uppeka

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossDunstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 03 at 00:50

Hmmm. When I was struggling to find a direct flight I even went as far as telephoning the airport from Australia and was told there were no direct flights. As I said, Thai used to run a CM - KK flight years ago but there was no flight the other way which I found curious. But, I have time on my hands and will go out to the airport tomorrow and make doubly sure. I look likely to be going to CM for a few days and if I can fly directly back for a reasonable cost, will.

I only found out yesterday that there is a second smaller airport in KK and may go and check that out too.

Ross

Kojak View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kojak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 03 at 05:17
thanks for your effort Ross .
Blazer View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 03 at 12:36

Just thinking it would be a nice drive from KK to CM.  Though this doesn't specifally address your question here's a link to a distance chart (& links to road maps at the bottom) between Thai locations. 

http://www.travelerroad.com/thaimap/distancechart.htm

pikimon View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 03 at 19:31

It will be cheap  and available!!!

it's cheaper way if you start from Chiang Mai by ordinary train ... you can see a local atmosphere along your way from Chiang Mai to Phitsanulok just around 3 hrs. then change to the bus from Phitsanulok to Khon Kaen. It takes around 2-3 hrs.

So easy and save more money !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic