Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Khon Kaen/Vientiane Bus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
prem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Khon Kaen/Vientiane Bus
    Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 14:42

A friend visiting from England went with my girlfiend on the Khon Kaen/Vientiane bus from the aircon bus station.  All was well until they were passing imigration into Laos and they had to fill in the entry cards and then queue for their " Stamp".  As it was lunch time there was the usual delay and when they reached the Lao side they found that the bus had left them and many other of its passengers behind.  They had also left their bags on the bus and had to  chase off to Vientiane in order to reclaim them.  It has become clear that this is a far from rare occurance and it may be that other KK.com members have experience of the bus.  If so please post your comments here.Angry

I think, therefore I am....not Thai   (Apologies to Rene Descartes)
Sponsored Links

flower man View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flower man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 21:59
You are living in Thailand.
This is not Dogeat,but whats the problem.You have all the time in the day.
Do you want to change Thailand to Frang Land????
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 22:58

Thu 12 Mar 09, 8:56 pm

FlowerMan,

Next time, take the time to read the OP's post before a little more carefully before you come out swinging  for no reason.  OK? 

Aloha,

Rex
Take A Wok View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take A Wok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 23:08
Originally posted by rexall rexall wrote:

Thu 12 Mar 09, 8:56 pm

FlowerMan,

Next time, take the time to read the OP's post before a little more carefully before you come out swinging  for no reason.  OK? 

Aloha,

Rex

Bitter taste !!!!!!
Sounds like draught guiness has dried up then
Dakoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 09 at 16:42
Originally posted by prem prem wrote:

A friend visiting from England went with my girlfiend on the Khon Kaen/Vientiane bus from the aircon bus station.  All was well until they were passing imigration into Laos and they had to fill in the entry cards and then queue for their " Stamp".  As it was lunch time there was the usual delay and when they reached the Lao side they found that the bus had left them and many other of its passengers behind.  They had also left their bags on the bus and had to  chase off to Vientiane in order to reclaim them.  It has become clear that this is a far from rare occurance and it may be that other KK.com members have experience of the bus.  If so please post your comments here.Angry

Think everyone knows that you will be left. In order to take a bus like this, you need your Lao visa before you get on it. I know in Udon they will tell you, that they will not wait for you!
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 09 at 17:51

Fri 13 Mar 09, 3:43 pm

I was left the one time I tried this.  At least my luggages wasn't on the bus like the OP!  However, it is a very disorienting experience.  Soon after that, I figured out, of course, that you need to get your Laos visa at the consulate in KKC prior.  It is a perfectly natural (though obviously incorrect) assumption that the bus would wait for people while they get their bis a the border.  Better communication would have been appreciated.

Prem, do you know the KKC-Vientiane schedule?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex
prem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 12:26
Originally posted by Dakoda Dakoda wrote:

Originally posted by prem prem wrote:

Think everyone knows that you will be left. In order to take a bus like this, you need your Lao visa before you get on it. I know in Udon they will tell you, that they will not wait for you!

Hi,

The English friend had a Laos visa from Khon Kaen consulate and the girlfriend did not need a visa,  the problem was with the Laos version of the "TM" card that you have to fill in before receiving your entry stamp.  If the bus company had a supply of these cards on the bus then the passengers could fill them out during the journey and there would be little hold up at the border.   My girlfriend told me that the samlor drivers were ready and waiting for the bus passengers after they had been left behind and it would appear that this type of event is "common".  The samlor also knew exactly where to go to collect the "lost" baggage so it may be some sort of "scam" operated by the bus drivers and the samlor drivers.  Then again I may be just being cynical.

The service, such as it is, operates from the aircon bus station at 07.45am and at 14.15 in the afternoon ( not totally sure about the afternoon time but it is around this time)

At 180 baht to Vientiane city it is probably a good deal, but not if you have to pay for a samlor from the bridge to the city, better just to travel by train to Nong Khai.

I think, therefore I am....not Thai   (Apologies to Rene Descartes)
Dakoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 09 at 15:32
I have never done this, but I did inquire about it, a couple or so years back, and if I remember correctly, they do have the entry cards at the downtown bus station in Udon, because I think they gave me one, always like to fill things out before hand. But this is not much help, if coming from KK. They also just about will not let you on the bus here without the visa, or so it seemed.
Take A Wok View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take A Wok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 09 at 17:20
I normally get a Visa at the Laos Consulate in KhonKaen, and when I arrive at the border grab a load of entry cards, so the next time I have one already filled in, just reduces the time slightly, so all you have to contend with is immigration.
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 09:12
Rex and Rex's Excellent Adventure . . . Not!

Tue 7 Apr 09, 6:34 am

Good morning all.

Can confirm that the Thai-Lao bus from KKC is a very good option to go to Nong Khai (obviously, also to Vientiane which is its purpose).  However, as there are few direct KKC-Nong Khai buses, and the only other alternative is to change buses in Udon, this is a much better option.   The switching in Udon scenario can work out really well if you start out on a comfortable bus to Udon, and if you don't have a long wait for the Nong Khai connection, but that is "ify" and has gone either way when I have done it in the past.  Once when I did it, they "forgot" to put my luggage on the NK bus.  Fortunately, got my bag, but had to cool my heels 90 minutes waiting for it to arrive!

The fare to Vientiane (or just to the border) is 180 THB
Departures  :  07:45 a.m., and 15:15 p.m.
Equipment :    Big, clean, comfortable coach with soft seats.
Booking  :       You cannot book or buy in advance.  Arrive  30-60 min before departure.

Visa  :             If your destination is Vientiane,  visit the Laos Consulate in KKC (or any other Laos Consulate) to buy your visa.  If you don't have it, the bus WILL NOT wait for you to get a visa at the border, and will leave you stranded at the border, maybe drive off with your bags.

Unfortunately, my little scheme didn't work out so well.  The coach, a big, nice, comfortable one made good time  to to Udon, didn't even stop at the Udon station, and then about 10 minutes out of Udon, broke down at the side of the road.  They futzed around with it for 10 or 15 minutes and got it started again . . .  then broke down again 10 minutes later! 

Never did get it  fixed (or a replacement sent out), at least not in the 30-40 minutes I waited trying to get a tuk-tuk or another bus or something.  Pretty slim pickins!  Finally, a tuk-tuk stopped, and fortunately for me, the driver lived nearby where we fetched his car and I was able to complete my chores, with his help.

First of all, I did something I always advise others not to do.  I planed a sudden trip to Immigration without bother to check for holidays.  I guess it didn't occur to me that a major holiday would occur so close to Songkran.  Anyway, my bad!  Everything was shut down!  However, the gawds were smiling on me because while most gov facilities were closed on Monday, for some unaccountable reason, Imm. had a lonely person staffing the desk that day!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Unfortunately, due to the time lost, arrived at 12:15 when the office was closed for lunch.   If the bus had not broken down, would have gotten there in plenty of time to be in and out before lunch.  Anyway, when we returned, I was the only customer; in-and-out in 10 minutes;  but 3,800 THB poorer for my multiple re-entry permit.  If the the office had been closed, there would have only been bad, expensive and unhappy options left. 

I don't know why the damned things are so expensive, especially for me, traveling out of the country as little as I do, it is mostly just a very expensive "insurance policy"  to save future possible trips to NK like this one.  I wish we could still get entry permits at the airport!  I should have done this when I extended back in November, or when I filed my 90 day report in NK, just a few weeks ago!!!!  Agrrrrrr!  Oh, well, hindsight is always 20-20!
  But that's the thing, if you don't have plans to travel, it is painful to part with that money!  Cry

Got a direct bus back from NK  at 14:20 p.m., which didn't leave until 14:30, futzed around in Udon for 15 min., and then make several stops along the way.  Not all the bus companies operate that way, I have taken runs which didn't seem as "poky", and got to KKC 30-60 min. sooner.  About 3 hr., 15 minutes on the road.

But at least I accomplished my mission.

Aloha,

Rex

Lao, Laos, Thai-Lao bus, Thailand-Vientiane bus, Khon Kaen - Vientiane Bus, bus to Vientiane, bus to Laos, bus to Nong Khai, Khon Kaen-Nong Khai, Khon Kaen-Vientiane, Khon Kaen-Laos, Khon Kaen-Lao
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic