Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Khon Kaen Immigration Office Now Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Freddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Khon Kaen Immigration Office Now Open
    Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 15:17
Well, we can't keep using a topic called "Immigration to open office in Khon Kaen" so I've started a new topic.

I am now the proud owner of a one-year visa extension obtained today at Khon Kaen Immigration Office.

The young lady officer was friendly but efficient and required one copy of each of the following:

1.  A completed form TM7 with my photo glued to the back

2.  A letter from my bank giving the current balance.

3.  A letter from the British Embassy stating my pension income.

4.  A copy of every used page of my bank book.

5.  A copy of every used page in my passport.

6.  A copy of our tabien baan showing the address and my wife's name
    (I had copied these two separate pages onto one page)

7.  A map of where we live.

Taken with us but not asked for were photos of us and our home,
a copy of my wife's ID card and a copy of our wedding certificate.
These latter are not necessary for a retirement extension, but you never know.

I gave her a sheet listing all the current baht rates against various currencies.
The pound was 54 to the baht and she used that figure.
She kept the sheet so might use it for a while

After all my paperwork was carefully checked and accepted I asked if I could re-use the
embassy letter stating my pension income for next year's application and was told yes.
That will save me over 2k baht.

What amused me was that when she applied the rubber hand-stamp to my passport
 page she tapped the top with a little rubber mallet to make a better impression.
The new visa is a little larger than Nong Khai's and Khorat's and uses up about
half a passport page.  It also has the word 'Retirement' stamped on it in red.

All in all a stress-free time and much better than you-know-where.

I'm half looking forward to seeing her again in January for my 90 day visit.

Freddie
Sponsored Links

topspinholty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinholty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 15:25

Can I ask if your pension income meets the required criteria,and if so, why do you need a letter from the bank giving a current balance? Or are you using a combination of the two?

If you have to tell the world how good you are,you're probably not that good!!!!
Freddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 17:37
My pension on its own does not meet the monthly requirement (although it will do in three years time when I get the UK state pension added to it) so yes, I used the combination method. It was  roughly half and half;  half the amount as pension plus  half as money in the bank to meet the 800,000 baht a year income requirement.

Freddie
Vicco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 22:50
Originally posted by Freddie Freddie wrote:

After all my paperwork was carefully checked and accepted I asked if I could re-use the
embassy letter stating my pension income for next year's application and was told yes.

That will save me over 2k baht.

I wonder how much we can rely on this ....I have just been told the exact opposite by
an immigration official  in Huahin...and also by the Canadian Embassy in Bankok...and a Thai lawyer who specializes in visa issues.......They all said without the slightest hesitation that I must have a new letter every year...Unhappy....Did you by any chance get it written in Thai and English and signed in blood???Confused    ..oh and at least 2 or 3 official stamps on the paper.....
Obviously we all hope this is right.....but how do you ever know?....until you go to renew next year.??
Unhappy 

Vicco

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." - George Bernard Shaw
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 09:17

Wed 7 Oct 09, 7:10 am

We have had several reports of people being told the embassy letter can be used for three years.  This is encouraging, but not entirely so.  Until this practice has become more firmly and consistently established, you run the risk of having your letter rejected and your  extension stalled while you run to Bangkok for a new letter.

We need more reports (positive or negative).  Please continue to post here with any reports (ideally first-hand) of whether a letter is required every one or three years, or whatever.

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex
DNPBC0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNPBC0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 13:57
My extension is due at the end of January, but I will be visiting the KK immigration office soon for my next 90 day report and some other minor non-contentious matters.  I intend to take the embassy certification of income letter which I used last year and ask whether it can be used a second time.  If the answer is 'yes', I will seek some written confirmation.  My plan is to take along a brief already prepared memo in Thai for someone to sign.  It may be a red rag to a bull, but I agree with Rex - it's too risky to rely on their oral feedback.
I will, of course, post the outcome on KKF.
peteh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 14:25
Originally posted by DNPBC0 DNPBC0 wrote:

My extension is due at the end of January, but I will be visiting the KK immigration office soon for my next 90 day report and some other minor non-contentious matters.  I intend to take the embassy certification of income letter which I used last year and ask whether it can be used a second time.  If the answer is 'yes', I will seek some written confirmation.  My plan is to take along a brief already prepared memo in Thai for someone to sign.  It may be a red rag to a bull, but I agree with Rex - it's too risky to rely on their oral feedback.
I will, of course, post the outcome on KKF.
Interesting idea, but what if they were to sign (which I very much doubt that they would) and the next week, or next month,  the "Rules" are changed by Bangkok to say that you MUST have a new letter every year.
I think that it would be put the officer in a very embarassing position. I am sure that she would like to oblige, and sign, but she would lose a great deal of face if my scenario was to occur.
"A red rag to a bull"?    Very dangerous........
Once upon a time.......
Vicco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 15:55
Originally posted by peteh peteh wrote:

Interesting idea, but what if they were to sign (which I very much doubt that they would) and the next week, or next month,  the "Rules" are changed by Bangkok to say that you MUST have a new letter every year.
I think that it would be put the officer in a very embarassing position. I am sure that she would like to oblige, and sign, but she would lose a great deal of face if my scenario was to occur.
"A red rag to a bull"?    Very dangerous........

I wonder if there even is a "rule"....if there is, you would think they would all be pretty clear about it one way or the other.  Maybe one of those things that is just left to the individual officers to decide....but then where did the the Huahin official, Embassy and Lawyer get their information?
I am going to attempt to get my embassy to sign a letter (and put all kinds of stamps on it) saying something like:  This letter will confirm that Vicco has a guaranteed lifetime annual income of $xxxxx This income is indexed to inflation and  is underwritten by the Government of Canada.
(Please feel free to change the date on top each year instead of jerking him around and making him waste time and money driving to Bankok every 12 months so we can waste our time telling you the same thing over and over and over....Ermm.)

I expect the chances are not great.....but I'll try just about anything at least once....LOL

Vicco

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." - George Bernard Shaw
DNPBC0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNPBC0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 17:14
Originally posted by Vicco Vicco wrote:

I am going to attempt to get my embassy to sign a letter (and put all kinds of stamps on it) saying something like:  This letter will confirm that Vicco has a guaranteed lifetime annual income of $xxxxx This income is indexed to inflation and  is underwritten by the Government of Canada.
(Please feel free to change the date on top each year instead of jerking him around and making him waste time and money driving to Bankok every 12 months so we can waste our time telling you the same thing over and over and over....Ermm.)

Dear Mr Vicco
Thank you for your letter requesting an enduring confirmation of income.  I am sorry that it has taken something over two years for a reply, but your unusual request has been taken very seriously. It was initially forwarded to the Ambassador for his consideration, the Ambassador has sought the advice of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, and the matter was subsequently discussed at Cabinet-level prior to going before the Senate who have submitted a question to the International Court of Justice. I am given to understand that the Court will need to debate on its response, but as the Court has many such major issues to deliberate, I am sure that you will understand if answer is not received within the next five years. If the response supports you request, the matter will then need to go through the committee process in both the House of Commons and the Senate before passing eventually into legislation.  We would expect this to take a further three years. 
How old did you say you were? Have you considered asking the Thai Immigration Department if they will accept our letter of confirmation on more than one occasion?
Yours etc
Canadian Embassy Bangkok.

Vicco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 18:00
Dear Canadian Embassy,
Thank you for your timely response.  I do fully appreciate the various protocols which embassy staff
are subject to, but time is always of the essence in matters dealing with Thai Visa renewals.
The time-line your have stated would not serve my purpose so, I am suggesting a reasonable solution. I have drafted the letter (enclosed)  which I believe will serve my purpose well.  All that is required is the signature of an embassy official and the application of an appropriate stamp.  (Red would be good, as red stamps always seem to impress immigrations officials anywhere in the world)  Bearing mind that both you and I are in Thailand, I am enclosing three thousand baht notes under plain cover.  I trust that this small consideration will speed the process to a satisfactory conclusion and I look forward to receiving the executed document shortly.

Sincerely yours
Vicco

Vicco

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic