Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Internet transfer via Bangkok Bank London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
richard47 View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internet transfer via Bangkok Bank London
    Posted: 12 Feb 10 at 13:22

On the website of Bangkok Bank London, I see they have a facility whereby you can transfer money from your own, whichever, UK bank to Bangkok Bank London for onward transmission to a Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand.

Has anyone used this service, and if so, how well did it work in terms of time taken from initiating the transfer to arrival Thailand? Also, which method is best, to exchange pounds to baht in UK, or send in pounds and exchange here but incurring a higher charge?

I bank with RBS, and they tell me that the only way they will send money outside the UK banking area, is if they receive written instructions by post. No fax, and certainly no internet!
Cheers

Richard
Sponsored Links

Yosser View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 10 at 14:50
Richard,
We bank with Lloyds TSB in the UK and they have no problem with us transferring money directly to our account in Thailand with Siam Commercial Bank. We can transfer any amount and fee is around £20 which is way better than Western Union or similar and money is there within 2/3 days.
Success is purely down to luck......just ask any failure.
peteh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 10 at 15:07
Hi Richard,

I cannot help with the question regarding Bangkok Bank, but I also bank with RBS and have had the same problems.

What I have done, is set up a monthly Standing Order from my RBS account to Thomas Exchange (London). They then send my money (jokingly, via RBS) to my SCB account in Khon Kaen. It takes 2 - 3 working days and they charge 10GBP per transaction under 3,000. Above 3,000 it is free.
I should mention that I always check the RoE from Thomas Exchange and it is always better than I would get through the ATM route.

The STO can be set up on line, but you would need to Fax a copy of your Passport (International Money Trading Rules) to Thomas Exchange. It takes less than 24 hours to set up.

PM me if you would like more details.

Just as an aside, I have always had problems with RBS sending ATM cards etc. to Thailand. They have refused to do so. Then, about 2 weeks, a letter arrives with my new Visa Debit from them. Unknown to me, they are scrapping the Highline Maestro system and replacing it with Visa Debit, as this is accepted it far more places overseas, and is easier to get cash over the counter in a Thai Bank. When I called to activate it, the lady (bless her) said "Oh, we should not have posted that to you - do you want to send it back to us and get it collected?" - REALLY.
I tried using it in Tesco Lotus and it was accepted with no questions asked.

Pete
Once upon a time.......
toffee man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toffee man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 10 at 23:33
Richard,
Change your UK bank. I use Halifax and I send out money on a monthly basis online; cost for each transfer is 9.50GBP. The online option has been available for about 6 months. So far I have received the money within 24 hours (to a Bangkok Bank a/c in KK) and at TT rate. No doubt other banks will offer a similar service. JUst to put things in context, this is probably the first time that Halifax has actually initiated something that has benefited me.

Cheers
Alan
Play golf in Khon Kaen? Why not look at our website www.khonkaengolf.com
billp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 10 at 11:02
i use barclays international regular payment section set up by letter to be paid in sterling to my bank in thailand . originally that was bangkok bank but i found that they would hold the money for 2/3 days before forwarding it to my local branch . i now use siam commercial .  sending sterling is better than sending baht - the exchange rate can vary enormously - currently barclays is showing 47 to the pound against 52 here.
I have sex Daily - oops! - I mean Dyslexia
Hutan1 View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 10 at 14:45
I also contacted the Bangkok Bank branch in London as I was thinking of having my UK occupational pension paid there and then having it transferred to the Bkk branch in Prachasamasorn Road in KK. The reply to my email was that, indeed, this could be done. I then enquired about the pound/baht exchange rate and was quoted a rate that was about 7% more unfavourable than the one published by Bkk bank here in Thailand!
So my advice is 'Don't go down this route'.
There is an 'Onshore rate' for currency exchange, quoted by Thai banks in Thailand, and an 'Offshore rate' for currency exchange, quoted by UK-based banks (including Bkk Bank in London!) that is far more unfavourable to us wishing to transfer money over here.   
Your bank in UK probably charges 20 quid for each transfer; IMHO you are far better off having them wire the money over in pounds and then let the Thai bank change the funds into baht.
Hutan
billp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 10:50
Originally posted by Hutan1 Hutan1 wrote:

I also contacted the Bangkok Bank branch in London as I was thinking of having my UK occupational pension paid there and then having it transferred to the Bkk branch in Prachasamasorn Road in KK. The reply to my email was that, indeed, this could be done. I then enquired about the pound/baht exchange rate and was quoted a rate that was about 7% more unfavourable than the one published by Bkk bank here in Thailand!
So my advice is 'Don't go down this route'.
There is an 'Onshore rate' for currency exchange, quoted by Thai banks in Thailand, and an 'Offshore rate' for currency exchange, quoted by UK-based banks (including Bkk Bank in London!) that is far more unfavourable to us wishing to transfer money over here.   
Your bank in UK probably charges 20 quid for each transfer; IMHO you are far better off having them wire the money over in pounds and then let the Thai bank change the funds into baht.
Hutan

Hutan
You are correct but with this arrangement I have peace of mind .  If the ER didn't fluctuate too much I would have the payments made quarterly or half-yearly.
I have sex Daily - oops! - I mean Dyslexia
bigneilo View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigneilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 13:15
  hi,  i use halifax to transfer to my siam commercial account,  £9.50 a go,  up to i think £16000,  you get a slightly less exchange rate than using your atm card  .5% less and siam charge 450 baht to receive it.
topspinholty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinholty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 15:38
Bigneilo....It does'nt matter how much you transfer using Halifax online....GPD 9.50 whatever amount.
If you have to tell the world how good you are,you're probably not that good!!!!
richard47 View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 19:02
Many thanks to everyone for your advice and comments, much appreciated.

It seems that Halifax is first in the running, rapidly followed by Lloyd's TSB.

Just one further question regarding these Banks. I will be in England to switch my current account, but is there any problem when I tell them that I will be moving out here permanently later on this year?

Cheers
Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic