Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When do you and how much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
lungbing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lungbing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When do you and how much?
    Posted: 24 May 04 at 23:35
Ban Nongbuademe, tambon Thapra,  my wife's village.  Mind you, I don't have much left to cut but he is very good and charges 30 baht and always give him 40.  I look like Phra Farang, ie a foreign monk, when he's finished.  That's the way I like it, much cooler this time of the year.

Derek
Derek
formerly of Nottingham England
Sponsored Links

dogeater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 04 at 09:23
If he charges you 30 THB then, why for heavens sake, do you give him 40THB? Are trying to show off how rich you are?  

tom_mee2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom_mee2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 04 at 10:20

A 33% tip! Gonna ruin the prices for everyone!!

www.Cisco Teacher.com
Empowering the internet generation, are you ready?
lungbing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lungbing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 04 at 23:54
Usually because it's 2 x 20 baht notes and I haven't got any coins.  He's a young lad with three small children too.  The shop is underneath his house and two of his children  usually stand and gawp at the farang in the chair, there are very few farangs in our village, and none at all that end.

Did you know that Thais think it unlucky to cut hair on a Wednesday and barbers are usually shut that day?

Derek

Derek
dogeater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 04 at 11:25

Originally posted by lungbing lungbing wrote:

Usually because it's 2 x 20 baht notes and I haven't got any coins. 

Did you ever consider that when you pay in 2 - 20THB notes then he will give you 1 - 10THB coin in change. Thais NEVER tip for a haircut! Unless of course, it's one w/ special services, and they do a good job.

sabang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 04 at 08:50
As a rule, I dont tip very often in Thailand. But when it comes to hair cuts, I usually do. Why? Its hard to get a good hair cut here so, when I find a good barber, I want to keep him happy. A hair cut for 40 baht! Includes a shave and shoulder massage! Give the man a tip! Tom Salarak
Metta Karuna Muddita Uppeka
RossDunstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossDunstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 04 at 10:39

Actually the whole issue of tipping is an interesting one and I will move these latest posts into a topic of it's own.

From my part, I'm inclined to tip for certain things.....bell boys carrying my bags from car to lobby to room and reverse, I would normally tip 20 baht. Haircuts...if 30 baht, I would give 40 baht, knowing I'd be paying well over 400 here in Australia and around 150 if I were in Bangkok. Restaurants........say for a 375 baht bill I would leave the 25 baht. In a bar for a 185 baht bill I would leave the 15 baht. I even tipped a guy in an electrical shop 20 baht for a 20 baht plug as he went to the length of setting up my stereo and making sure the part worked. This was just great service and should have been rewarded...actually 20 baht was probably a bit skinny but he expected nothing. For a 200 baht 2 hour massage I would be inclined to tip the girl between 50 and 100 baht depending on how good it was. The girls make 100 baht, or half, what you pay for 2 hours work...I'm not on that tight a budget I cant reward good service. On the other hand....if the service is lousy then I would leave nothing...I only reward good service.

I suppose we are all different...I agree in some ways with John that you dont want to appear to be foolish with your money. And I NEVER tip anyone who is hinting strongly that I should. This happens a lot in Pattaya proving there are a lot of foolish Farang there that have too much money.

Be interested in what other people consider to be a fair thing.

Ross

Edited by RossDunstan
bongo View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 04 at 19:26

C'mon Guys, you can't argue over 10BAHT! If the haircut was good and you're happy with the service, well then he deserves the 10 baht. It doesn't really matter if Thai's tip or don't tip. I agree if somebody gave 100baht, but 10 baht is not going to change the world!

I generally tip in Thailand on all occassions, unless of course I wasn't happy with the service or attitude of the person being tipped, but I would never give an unrealistic amount.

Thai's can do with the money, no matter how small.

lungbing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lungbing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 04 at 23:39
Thanks for the support lads, I was just about to go and demand my 10 baht back!  He does give good service,  he laughs at my silly joke about making my hair look like Ad Carabao's photo in the shop when I only have as much as the local temple's abbot to start with.
He doesn't expect a tip, but deserves it and that is the basis for tipping.  I know it's 33 percent but I can hardly offer him 3 baht as 10 per cent of cost, that would be an insult.

I am happy , he is happy and the kids looking at a farang getting his hair cut are happy.  Where's the problem?

Derek

Derek
RossDunstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossDunstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 04 at 11:49

I think percentages are irrelevant when small amounts are involved.......20 baht tip on a 20 baht item is 100%, so what. 10 baht on 30 is 33%, 100 baht on a 200 baht massage is 50% and 15 baht on 185 baht is under 10%. I think it is the thought that counts and I know there is no compulsion to give anything but rewarding good service should be encouraged.

I know at the the Number 1, the girls used to make nearly as much in tips as they did in salary, and the salary wasn't huge. But.....dont reward poor service.

Ross 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic