Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Apartment for Monthly Rental?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MikeF View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Apartment for Monthly Rental?
    Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 12:29
Well, we made it to Khon Kaen. Looking for monthly apartment so we can start looking for a house to rent. Khon Kaen is a GIANT city - much larger than we remember. I think we weren't in the heart of it last time we were here - just the outskirts. It's so big to us.

We went to some Garden Villa serviced apartments and it was 8,000 THB per month with free internet. That sounded good. We got there and the rooms were quite small and the electric was at the 10 baht per unit rate. WOW. That's a far cry from the 5-6 THB per unit I remember at service apartments in Ubon. Guess prices have skyrocketed... or maybe KK is just expensive? We found another apartment for 13,000 but didn't go look.

Any other ideas for apartments we could check out?

Any more in the 8000-10000 range we should see?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links

SkyyWalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyyWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 12:48
Typically, apartments will want a minimum of a 3 month lease-at least that's what I remember when we were looking around a few years back.  Click here for a good link regarding apartments in KKC.  I've heard the Tamarind (in the link) is pretty nice.  Enjoy your search.

parryhandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parryhandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 20:58
I have my rented house electric bill handy and it works out at 3.71 baht per unit on 430 units. Obviously there is extra shared electric costs with serviced apartments (hall,outside lights etc) but nearly 3 times the actual rate ????
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 21:07
10 THB is a real ripoff, twice as much as 5 THB which is also high.  There is no need or reason to pay that much.  OTOH, it is winter and you are unlikely to be using much or any aircon, so the difference between 5 TH & 10 THB may only be a few hundred THB in a month.  Maybe be worth it if you just want some place to quickly park yourself while house hunting. 

I forget the name of the place, but it is (sort of) opposite Fairy Plaza on the KFC side.  Around 5K THB per month for the usual serviced studio.  People have said it is OK though, and the location, while I would not want to live there permanently, would be very convenient for temporary and house hunting.  I forget the name.  Is it Klang Muang Mansion or something like that?

Do a forum search.  There have been several of these places here, but the posts are probably scattered all over the place.

Good luck.

Rex
MikeF View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 21:20
Thanks Rexall - I didn't think the price could have doubled everywhere - there were some foreigners in the place - I think they must be targeting us and jacking up the electric for us - thinking nobody knows any better.

We had a good look around Khon Kaen today and we don't like it. At all. I can't find ANYTHING about the place that I like. That's bad, because we were optimistic before arriving - thinking - this is it... where we'll raise our daughter.

It's not that. It's not even where we'll hang out for a year or so. We're done. The traffic is horrible. The city is much too big for us. Guess living in Krabi spoiled us. It's hard as hell to find a place to live in Krabi that isn't 25000 THB per month, or junk... we may well end up right back there though.

We're expanding our search to other places now... KK isn't it. Nong Khai very well could be... but we'll look around for a while, we've planned for the time and $ - might as well take our time.

Appreciate everyone's kind comments - very good information was given! We couldn't foresee this!

Cheers,

MF
SkyyWalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyyWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 01:32
Originally posted by MikeF MikeF wrote:

Thanks Rexall - I didn't think the price could have doubled everywhere - there were some foreigners in the place - I think they must be targeting us and jacking up the electric for us - thinking nobody knows any better.

We had a good look around Khon Kaen today and we don't like it. At all. I can't find ANYTHING about the place that I like. That's bad, because we were optimistic before arriving - thinking - this is it... where we'll raise our daughter.

It's not that. It's not even where we'll hang out for a year or so. We're done. The traffic is horrible. The city is much too big for us. Guess living in Krabi spoiled us. It's hard as hell to find a place to live in Krabi that isn't 25000 THB per month, or junk... we may well end up right back there though.

We're expanding our search to other places now... KK isn't it. Nong Khai very well could be... but we'll look around for a while, we've planned for the time and $ - might as well take our time.

Appreciate everyone's kind comments - very good information was given! We couldn't foresee this!

Cheers,

MF

If you live in an apartment, 7-10 baht for electric is standard, whether you're Thai or not.  It's not a rip off-it's the going rate.  Nong Khai is no different.  You can run around Isaan all you wish, but here's the bottom line: if you don't rent a house, or townhouse, you will pay at least 7 baht per unit for electric-as will any Thai-in Isaan.  Like Rex said, this time of year, so what!!!

We've lived in the same townhouse for nearly 3 years - 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, covered car port etc.

Costs:

rent-5,000
cable tv-350
internet-630
elec/water-500

The grass ain't any greener in Nong Khai, bro.

Consider Loei, or Chiang Khan.

Pianoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 07:36
Mike,

If it is "Quiet" that you are seeking, consider Kalasin....   Large enough for interest, but small town feel and attitudes...  I have had 5 friends visit for short periods and 4 of the 5 have now moved here...   1 hours drive to Khon Kaen if you want the Big City Shopping experience, 40 minutes to Roi Et,  several "Farang" restaurants in the area, we have our own Global House, Plaza shopping Center w/KFC, Swenson's Ice Cream, Mr, Donut, Hot Pot, ect....  New Lotus being built now and continual expansion and building going on all over town....  Plus very reasonable cost of living based upon what I hear about Khon Kaen, Nong Khai, Udon and other places....

Pianoman

Edited by Pianoman - 31 Dec 10 at 07:38
Everything in Moderation, including Moderation....
kiwifreakboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwifreakboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 10:04
It's also worth noting that it is the new year period here and half of Bangkok have come 'home' here for the holidays. That's why traffic is especially horrific at the moment and all the malls, supermarkets etc are jammed with people. Everything should be back to normal in a week or so.
...where are all the angry penguins?
MikeF View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 20:59
We were in Nong Khai and found some places we could rent - not serviced apartments - so the electric would be the standard - pay at 7-11, not pay the apartment owner some outrageous rate.

Once in Ubon I got an apartment and it was 6 THB per unit I think it was. We used air con only at night - but the entire night - the a/c was old and didn't work well - we had a 2400 THB bill for electric at the end of the month. That wasn't fun since the whole room was 3500 THB.

Electric cost isn't figuring into the equation much - as we would only be in an apt bldg for a month until we found a house... but it was one consideration.

Traffic - yes, even in Buriram we found big traffic. I've never been in Isaan during the new year - so I never saw it like this. I think Khon Kaen probably has a decent amount of traffic anyway - they didn't build those huge streets for small traffic.

I DID find a couple of things to like in Khon Kaen - the park was very nice - not nice as in manicured, but large and perfect for running, biking, pushing baby around the lake... etc. We also loved the food and the people. The hotel was great too - Bussarakam - good value.

We're going to hang out in various parts of Isaan for a while and see if we can't get the right place. Kalasin - Mukdahan - Sisaket - Buriram - Surin - all on the list.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Cheers!
Abe Frohman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 11 at 14:14

I stayed at Tamarind a few years ago, and the room at that time rented for (I believe) 4000 baht/month and 8 baht/unit (KWh) of electricity. A similar setup I'd had in Bangkok reted for 11,000/month and 5 baht/unit (KWh) of electricity. Knowing the actual cost of residential electricity is 3-4 baht/KWh, I called them on it. The explanation I got was that it is common here to low-ball the rent prices (to compete against other apartments) and to make it back by overcharging on electricity (which fewer people are tuned into the pricing of.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic