Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flush toilets in rural areas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Abe Frohman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flush toilets in rural areas
    Posted: 15 Jul 11 at 12:37
Wondering what insight anyone has on this . . .

I'll be planning a project soon with the g/f for putting a kitchen and shower/flush toilet/bathroom at her mother's house in the country. For all my visits in the past to Thai villages, I don't know how they are dealing with the waste water (sewage)? First thought would be septic tanks, but I've not seen indicators of that anywhere (like holes being dug on new construction, drain fields, and "honey dipper" trucks for the occasional sludge removal.)

For that matter, does Muang Khon Kaen have a sewer system and sewage plant? If so, is the sewer system separated from the storm drainage system?
Sponsored Links

KK Veteran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Veteran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 11 at 15:51
Originally posted by Abe Frohman Abe Frohman wrote:

Wondering what insight anyone has on this . . .

I'll be planning a project soon with the g/f for putting a kitchen and shower/flush toilet/bathroom at her mother's house in the country. For all my visits in the past to Thai villages, I don't know how they are dealing with the waste water (sewage)? First thought would be septic tanks, but I've not seen indicators of that anywhere (like holes being dug on new construction, drain fields, and "honey dipper" trucks for the occasional sludge removal.)

For that matter, does Muang Khon Kaen have a sewer system and sewage plant? If so, is the sewer system separated from the storm drainage system?

LOL
How long have you been in Issan Abe?

The normal procedure is that two or three 1 metre wide concrete rings are dropped in the ground with an poor fitting lid on top. The output from the toilet goes in there while the water from shower/etc is discharged in villages in to a stinking ditch outside the house.

As for general drainage on housing estates etc the way the systems are constructed with concrete pipes dropped on to non compacted ground plus the residue of cement left inside means that they only work for a short time before getting clogged. Take a look at the inspection chambers as you walk around KK to see what I mean. Building skills are not two words you will find being used together in Thailand.

One other thing you'll need is a large plastic bin and a plastic scoop. Most of the farang built bathrooms I have seen in the villages feature these. It appears despite the new ablutions the locals still like to shower using the scoop and a plastic container full of water.

Edited by KK Veteran - 15 Jul 11 at 15:55
Vicco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 11 at 18:12
During the Vietnam war a small unit of US special forces operating from a camp in a remote area set up their latrine over a small inlet on the side of the river.  They sh*t into the river.  Large carp came to feed there after a while.   They caught the carp and along with a few locals, eat them.  They would then sh*t the carp back into the river......a continuous food supply and perfect ecological cycle..   Just a though for village life...always locate beside a river..Big smile
Vicco

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." - George Bernard Shaw
toffee man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toffee man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 11 at 17:34
Abe,

instead of the concrete rings go to Global (or others) and buy the large plastic containers specifically made for the purpose. Then you introduce bacteria culture that, to put it crudely, feeds on sh*t. We have had ours installed for 4 years now and never had to have any maintenance or emptying done.

(And I bet this post gets some juicy comments from you wags out there)

Alan
Play golf in Khon Kaen? Why not look at our website www.khonkaengolf.com
spiv1947 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiv1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 03:48
hi vicco .the lake in the village i live in recieves all the inflow of sh-t etc from a good 4oo dwellings and as you so stated carp etc feed on said sh-t etc and i am informed by my constantly ill neighbours makes very good fish suppers thank god i cant stand fish would you think this is a case of GETTING THERE OWN BACK 
                                 you will also be pleased to know i still barking mad and enjoying every minute of it an if you think i got problems go round to babymakers he makes me look like a beginner she be right mate promise yours crazy bob
bob bennett
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 09:52
Originally posted by toffee man toffee man wrote:

Abe,

(And I bet this post gets some juicy comments from you wags out there)

Alan

"Juicy comments"  That's a good one! LOL
Abe Frohman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 10:58

Abe,
instead of the concrete rings go to Global (or others) and buy the large plastic containers specifically made for the purpose. Then you introduce bacteria culture that, to put it crudely, feeds on sh*t. We have had ours installed for 4 years now and never had to have any maintenance or emptying done.

Yes, not sure if these go by other names, but what you described I know as a "Septic Tank." And that was the whole point of my question: Are they commonly used in rural Thailand?

From other replies here, sounds like they are not. What's described in the first reply sounds essentially like an outhouse "pit" toilet (at least as far as the disposal part is concerned.) Problem with this arrangement as I understand it is it can lead to ground water contamination, which leads up to my next question:

Are water wells common place as a source of fresh water? I've certainly seen the big barrels capturing rain water off the roof, and also seen some water systems coming from unknown sources, but did not ever hear any figures on wells, ground water quality, and how common it is to use a well?
Vicco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 11:57

Abe,

Yes, not sure if these go by other names, but what you described I know as a "Septic Tank." And that was the whole point of my question: Are they commonly used in rural Thailand?

From other replies here, sounds like they are not. What's described in the first reply sounds essentially like an outhouse "pit" toilet (at least as far as the disposal part is concerned.) Problem with this arrangement as I understand it is it can lead to ground water contamination, which leads up to my next question:

Are water wells common place as a source of fresh water? I've certainly seen the big barrels capturing rain water off the roof, and also seen some water systems coming from unknown sources, but did not ever hear any figures on wells, ground water quality, and how common it is to use a well?

I have seen a couple of houses out in the country that had proper septic systems (tank and tile bed)  but it's certainly not very common.  A lot depends on the soil and drainage....and of course the budget.

Wells do seem to be quite common; at least in some areas.  My wife's house out in the village has a drilled well and pump.  She says it's about 12 meters deep and it was drilled 10 years ago at a cost of 3,500 Thb.  Again the depth will vary a lot depending on location.  12 meters is actually quite shallow but it has excellent flow and the water quality seems very good.  It is triple filtered for drinking however.  I don't know if there is any safe untreated drinking water in Thailand.  There are quite a few wells in her village even though it is now connected to a municipal supply. 

In any area with intense agricultural activity, shallow wells are quite exposed to contamination from the surface,  (especially during the rainy season)  so the latest and greatest in filtration and purification technology is in order.. it's not that expensive these days.

Vicco

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." - George Bernard Shaw
KK Veteran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Veteran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 17:21

Abe,

Ground water contamination is quite likely in villages. The majority have the concrete ring pits and very few will have a septic tank.

Here in the UK I live in the country and have a three chamber sewage treatment plant. This has an electrically driven air pump which aids the microbiotic digestion of the effluent. The water that emerges is so clean it can be discharged in to a watercourse. Never seen such a system in Thailand as I'm sure the cost would put them off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic