Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
fceligoj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fceligoj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen
    Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 18:17
I am in the planning stages for going to the US Embassy in Laos mid-February.  Of course, I figured it would be easier to get my Lao Visa in Khon Kaen at the Laos Consulate Office.  I went on line (google) to find the office and get the address.  Guess what!  What is in their website shows the wrong address.  If you need to go to the Consulate to get a Visa, go to:

171/102-103 Prachasamosorn Road, Tele: (043) 242-856

It takes about 5 minutes (longer if someone is already in the process.)
Their lunch hour is really 12.00 to 13.10
Sponsored Links

SkyyWalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyyWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 21:21
Thanks for the update, Frank.Clap
dogeater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 12 at 05:00
Lao does have visa on arrival.

fceligoj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fceligoj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 12 at 08:47
So much easier when you can have it done before you get to the border.
tcris52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcris52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 12 at 09:53

The great advantage to me, if I am taking a bus, is that I can get the bus in KK that goes directly to the Vientiane bus depot. In order to do this, you have to show a visa at the bus station in KK. With this, the bus waits until all the passengers have cleared immigration at the border and then goes on into town.

The last time I got a visa in KK (in October) it took about 10 minutes and no extra charge for quick service.
dogeater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 12 at 11:00
Were you able to pay in $, cause it's cheaper than THB.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyyWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 12 at 16:04
Originally posted by dogeater dogeater wrote:

Were you able to pay in $, cause it's cheaper than THB.

No, you can't and yes, it is.  You'll save around 300 baht paying for your Laos visa at the border in US dollars.  This is easy to do as there has been a couple currency exchange booths there for several months now that will exchange Baht for greenbacks.  However, will you really save 300 Baht?  No, you won't.

If you're going all the way to Vientiane, you'll have the added cost (20B) of the cramped, non-AC shuttle across The Mekong, then you'll also have to pay to get to the capital.  Although it can be done for as little as 100B, you'll be asked for more.  As Frank mentioned, getting the Laos visa takes minimal time.  I've done that 4 times and the longest it has ever taken was 15 minutes.  Getting the visa at the border takes a minimum of 20 minutes, up to an hour, depending on how many people are ahead of you.  

Of course, if you're just going over and back (not to Vientiane), you'll only have the added 20B fee to cross the river.  Another thing to consider is if you're not taking the KK to Vientiane bus, how will you get to the border on the Thai side?  If you're taking a "normal" bus to Nong Khai, the bus stops at the bus station which is a good 3km from the Friendship Bridge.  

The cheapest way to do this trip (and the most inconvenient) is to do the following:

1. Take the train (economy) from KK to NK.  I think it leaves around 10am and costs as little as 50 Baht (I'm not entirely sure of the cost, but 50B should be close).

2. Walk from the train station to the border (about 20 minutes).

3. Take the 20 Baht shuttle across the river.

4. Exchange Thai Baht for US Dollars & pay for the visa.

5. After having your PP stamped, walk right past the booth where you're supposed to pay a 40 Baht entry fee.  In the unlikely event you're directed back to the booth, smile sheepishly and innocently and pay the fee (I've only had to do this once!).

6. Though it may take some persistence, insist on not paying more than 100 Baht for a ride to Vientiane...you'll get that price if you stand firm.

Here's the most convenient way to do the trip if you're not worried too much about cost-it's what our family does when we want or need to go to Vientiane:

1. Drive yourself to Nong Khai in the morning and proceed directly to the day market on the river.  Hang out for a while, strolling through the various booths...happy wife...me happy she's happy...otherwise indifferent.

2. Go to The Mutmee Resort for lunch.  A bit pricy, but worth it and the view of the river is great (Western staff, too). Wife AND me happy happy.

3. Park the car for free by the 7-11 if t's just a day trip, or park around back and pay the fee to have it "looked after" for longer stays.

4. While exiting Thailand, call our AC minivan contact to be sure he's ready in an hour.  We pay him 250 Baht for a private ride to Vientiane.

5. Pay for the visa in US Dollars at the border if we didn't have time to get my visa in KK. Katt goes in free as she has a Thai PP...for Thais without a PP, they'll need to fill out a form and pay, I think 150 Baht.  Be sure all parties have PP photos!

5. Walk to meet the driver and get transported to the Riverside Hotel.

madge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 12 at 17:02
Good post skywalker!

Just to add 30 baht for the train for farang.

Once in Laos to get to the city(VT) you can get the bus (little sky blue ones) for around 10 baht,they are to the right near the stalls as you come from the currency exchange box,it takes about the same time as the taxis take and drops you at the central bus station.

I enjoy walking past all the taxi touts and jumping on these little buses.Also if you was really tight you could walk the bridge!!!!

In essence from khon kaen train station to VT city can be done for around 40-50 baht,if you really wanted to.

Madge Ying Yang
I keep a close watch on this heart of mine,i keep my eyes wide open all the time...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyyWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 12 at 19:45
Madge...I was just about to update my post after talking with a guy who said exactly what you did regarding the "little blue buses".  Wow...KK to Vientiane for under 2 quid, euro, bucks...

Also, if you were just going for a visit and not a visa run, you could just swim the Mekong both ways and save the visa fees, although I'm sure you could find a dude on one of those little wooden boats who'd take you for a shot of lao cao or twenty baht!  

Let's not forget that a carton of ERA smokes is only 80 baht, so even if you're paying 330 Baht for a carton of SMS, you still save 250B.

So let's see...50 Baht for the train, swim the Mekong for free and get a good workout, buy a carton, pay 20 Baht to boat dude to cross the river, come back to KK on the train...another 50 Baht...profit of 130B. Damn...I guess I can quit my day job now!LOL
Melaus View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 08:42
Good info, ta

Is there a similar through bus and pre purchase visa availability in Udon or NK?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic