Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thai Love Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
davidthai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidthai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 08 at 16:06
hi
Up_To_You View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Up_To_You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 08 at 02:30
Yes, I know of a guest house owner in Udon Thani who made all of the contacts with farangs for a number of Thai ladies who do not know enough English to read or write messages. Two I know personally were coached to get the farang to buy an engagement ring, a house and numerous other items. The guest house owner had profiles of these two girls posted on Cherry Blossoms, Thai Love Links (3 different profiles) and EuroAsia or AsianEuro (2 profiles).

Of course we stayed at the guest house of this lady.

In other words, we were actually corresponding with the guest house owner, not the two ladies although they got a summary of our e-mails, and had some input into the responses.  

By the second day, the guest house owner was trying to inform us that we would have to pay sin sodt of 1,000,000 baht to the families of the two women to marry them. I have lived in Thailand for a few years and told the lady I would pay nothing. Actually, the guest house owner would take 800,000 baht of that total. The lady I had met was not ready for marriage and either was I. My friend told the guest house owner to marry me because she would not until she got to know me for a few years.

Consequently, my friend was harassed for a number of weeks by the guest house owner to get some money for her services. She got nothing. But she did tell all and sundry that my good friend was a very bad woman with no sense of morals and responsibility. She even brought in a government employee to inform me of the bad habits of my girl. However, his credibility was shot early on when he told me that as a government employee he really cares for the people, and always supports them through his honest and non-corrupt habits. The next day my friend called him and told him to speak directly to her if he wanted to say something rather than speak behind her back. She called him a sissy. Apparently, he had tried to date her a few times and she had refused. 

In any case, the harassment by the guest house owner halted only after I said I was fed up with the girl and was leaving Udon. In fact, I just moved to another hotel and me and my friend are seeing one another still.

The guest house owner quickly moved me from a large and comfortable room to a very tiny room.     

The other couple were even harrassed for a longer period of time. The guest house owner was sending e-mails to the guy in the U.S. condemning the young lady over a year later, and telephoning his girl friend and demanding money at the same time.

So beware internet cafe owners. They do provide a service to many of these ladies who do not speak, read and write anything but Thai and possibly Lao. However, they are responsible for putting a lot of inconvenient ideas into the heads of the Lao/Thai ladies, and are quite happy to play you for as much as they can get. The actual sites, ThaiLoveLinks, Cherry Blossoms, DateinAsia do not make any money, so far as I can tell from any relationships that develop.

By the way, when I meet my friend again in August, we will have known one another for over two years. 
pho gin pho yuu
davidthai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidthai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 08 at 16:12
Hi
A lot of the girls from the province of Khon Kaen are  also on another independent site run by an American who charges large fees for the girls , he is piggy backing by also advertising on TLL  its not until the farang gets engaged or married that the hassle then comes for a very large sum of money for which the girl has signed as contract they take a large amount of money from the Dowry  if you want more detail send me pm
Tricky View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 08 at 05:50
HI
I had totally forgoten I had asked a question, way back in 2005.
To answer the question, again asked some time ago.
Yes I made it to KK, in fact have been back 4 times now, am happily married, and my wife is with me in the UK, with I am glad to say, Her residents permit!! (Not Cheap)!!!
All I would say, to anyone reading this, Please keep clear of the bandits that run TSM.
I could go on for ages about them, but my mother always said, if can't say anything good about someone, say nothing, so I will say NOTHING!!!!
But the experiance, bad as it was, did get me a lovely Thai wife, and I love KK.
So not all bad.
The only advise I would realy give anyone, is do your own wife's/fiance's visa applications your self, I learnt the hard way the first time, paid an agency 20,000 bht, for the first time, she originally came on a 6 month tourist visa, to see how she liked the UK.
I ended up doing the visa paper work anyway, in 2 days, not the 6 weeks as they promised.
I found it realy easy, just follow the online advise from the UK Gov site, and of course, pay good old HMG their fee!!!
Tricky
Navigator View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 08 at 15:58
 Hello
 I know this might be a almost dead thread. I just wanted to let the others that might read it later know that not all theses ladies use such services.
  My fiance did not use any service. We meet on TLL and become friends before we ever meet in person. We have meet and falling in love. and sometime next year we will be getting married. Just because a girl is on TLL does not mean she is in one of these services.
The Navigator can always tell you where to go!
expatudon08 View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote expatudon08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 07:21
on the dateing side the smaller internet shops do have groups of girls that run the show they get local girls looking for a husband sign them up with a online agent translate emails wright emails and even talk on the phone so when you turn up in Los you find  your partner to be does not speak read our wright english not such a problem but
when you get married the dowry you pay to the parents a fixed amount of that is paid to this little group of helpers Wink
expatudon08 webmaster
http://www.udonthani.co.uk/
klinpree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinpree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 08:20
I think any man who pays a dowry to marry somebody is a total fool.
Gdhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gdhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 10:03
Originally posted by klinpree klinpree wrote:

Depends, I feel it is not as black and white as that.

Paying one for my first wife was a BIG mistake as she was an out and out lying Gold-digger BUT
the Sin Sod for my second wife was worth much more than I paid and she was a single mum abandoned by a UK man who used her.  The Sin Sod admittedly was small (and genuinely requested as against demanded).

May I suggest an alternative view klinpree. 

If you decide NOT to pay Sin Sod and lose your lady and love of your life, then never find another lady or one that seems as perfect as the one you decided NOT to pay a Sin Sod for, or you never find true happiness, who is the fool then? 

I do not like Sin Sod but I would not lose a soul mate over an amount I could afford to pay (and lose if love did not last)

So far my current (and I believe to be life long) marriage has lasted 2½ years and I am very happy.

At the end of the day whilst I do think some Thai families ruthlessly use this custom to their benefit (i.e. the girls at times reputation/status/education/upbringing do not warrant what a Sin Sod is supposed to be valued as) it IS a Thai Cultural custom and common throughout SE Asia

I know of 2 broken hearted Thais and Westerners where (in these cases) the Westerners could not raise the money the parents demanded.  The parents pulled the plug and daughters obeyed (clearly loved money and their security more than their daughters happiness).

One of the ladies went on to marry and divorce and still is in contact with her original one true love. He has never married.  I pray her parents with their ONE Sin Sod "under their belt" relent and are not so greedy that they hope for a second SIN SOD payday (BUT it is not looking that way unfortunately as greed is prevailing). 

I know some parents personally who seem happy to claim new Sin Sods as their daughters divorce and remarry (and sometimes with previous marriage children). The daughters seem as happy for this as the parents - marrying Westerners for some poor families does seem to be a family business (they must hate it when boys are born) 

I fail to understand why a second Sin Sod should ever be demanded - EXCEPT GREED.  For me it suggests the lady of a failed marriage is worth twice the Sin Sod of a lady in a lasting first time marriage.  Unless the wife was blameless in the failure of the first marriage that cannot be what Sin Sod is about or, morally correct.

Regards
Dave

rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 11:24

This might be over-generalizing just a tad.  Dowry is a traditional part of Thai and other Asian cultures.  As Thailand continues to develop, it "may" be going somewhat out of fashion. I dont' know.   Still, I reckon there must be millions of husbands in Thailand who have  paid a dowry.  Surely they cannot all be "fools"? Confused
Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall - 05 Nov 08 at 11:26
The Pink Possy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pink Possy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 11:56
Originally posted by rexall rexall wrote:

This might be over-generalizing just a tad.  Dowry is a traditional part of Thai and other Asian cultures.  As Thailand continues to develop, it "may" be going somewhat out of fashion. I dont' know.   Still, I reckon there must be millions of husbands in Thailand who have  paid a dowry.  Surely they cannot all be "fools"? Confused
Aloha,

Rex
I agree entirely with the Dowry (Sin Sod) replies that it is very much prevalent in Asian Culture, including Thailand, even today.  Perhaps some further research is required by the people who disagree, or unaware of this part of culture. 
Oh, this fool paid a undesclosed amount to a Cambodian family which I believe is far less than what you would pay here in Thailand.

Edited by The Pink Possy - 05 Nov 08 at 12:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic